[Openstack] [openstack-dev] [metering][ceilometer] Unified Instrumentation, Metering, Monitoring ...

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Nov 8 03:21:44 UTC 2012

Hey!

(sorry for the top-posting, crappy web client)

There is a periodic task already in the compute manager that can handle this:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/manager.py#L3021

There seems to be some recent (to me) changes in the manager now wrt the resource_tracker.py and stats.py files about how this information gets relayed. Now it seems it only goes to the db, but previously it was sent to a fanout queue that the schedulers could use.

Regardless, this is done at a high enough level that it doesn't really care about the underlying virt layer, so long at the virt layer supports the get_available_resource() method.

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/resource_tracker.py#L152
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/xenapi/driver.py#L392
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py#L2209

I'd add a hook in there do what we want with this data. Write it to the db, send it over the wire, whatever. If there is additional information required, it should go in this dictionary (or we should define a format for extensions to it).

The --periodic_interval value is meant to be the "fastest tick" approach and the individual methods have to deal with how many multiples of the base tick it should use. So you can have different data reported at different intervals.

Now, the question of polling vs. pushing shouldn't really matter if the sampling rate is predetermined. We can push when the sample is taken or we can read from some other store from an external process ... but the sampling should only be done in one place, once.

Hope I answered your question? If not, just repeat it in another way and I'll try again :)

-S