[Openstack] [openstack][cinder] cinder create gives an error

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Tue Nov 6 18:41:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Ahmed Al-Mehdi <ahmed at coraid.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Thank you for your response.  When you stay start from scratch, do you
> mean re-install everything (all services) from scratch, as in a fresh
> install of Ubuntu?   And then not install nova-volume and don't create
> endpoint for nova-volume?
>
> Not to impose on you, but can you help me understand what does the
> following error mean:
>     *ERROR: Malformed request url (HTTP 400) (Request-ID:
> req-8cff9608-598b-4618-bdc1-1068a1227781)*
> *
> *
> Is there an issue with how the REST command (Get/Put) is formed?
> Is the service not listening on the expected port, or the service is not
> even up and running?
>
> Regards,
> Ahmed.
>

> From: John Griffith <john.griffith at solidfire.com>
> Date: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 11:19 AM
> To: Ahmed Al-Mehdi <ahmed at coraid.com>
> Cc: "openstack at lists.launchpad.net" <openstack at lists.launchpad.net>
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] [openstack][cinder] cinder create gives an error
>

> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Ahmed Al-Mehdi <ahmed at coraid.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just installed installed cinder, however, I am getting the following
>> error.
>>
>> root at bodega:~/ahmed/cinder# cinder create --display_name test 1
>> ERROR: Malformed request url (HTTP 400) (Request-ID:
>> req-a488154b-37f8-47e8-ae5f-8e7a73f6637b)
>> root at bodega:~/ahmed/cinder#
>>

>> Can someone please help me understand what this error means.  I don't see
>> any logs being generated in any of the cinder log files - cinder–api.log,
>> cinder-scheduler.log, cinder-volume.log.
>>
>> Any pointers to debug this issue would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ahmed.

>> Ahmed,
>
> It looks like there's still a problem with your endpoint configuration?
>  If your conf files are in fact set up correctly as advised earlier there
> is also a potential that you didn't clean up the nova-volume settings you
> had in keystone and the CS.  Depending on your system, you might want to
> consider dropping the tables from your DB and starting from scratch and
> install cinder only.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> Ahmed,

No... sorry, I didn't mean re-install the OS, just reconfigure OpenStack
from scratch (drop the databases [NOT the mysql and other defaults]) and
step back through the config without the nova-volume piece in the mix.

The malformed request is telling you that there's something that the
receiving end does not like about the call you've made.  The reason I
suspect the endpoint or catalog service issue is that I've made the same
mistake and seen the same error myself :)

Thanks,
John