[Openstack] OpenNebula and Swift integration

Chuck Thier cthier at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 15:54:16 UTC 2012

Hi Javier,

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 5:07 AM, Javier Fontan <jfontan at opennebula.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We recently had interest from some of our enterprise users to use
> Swift Object Store as the backend for the VM images. I have been
> researching on a possible integration with OpenNebula but I have some
> questions.
>
> AFAIK Swift is only Object Store and exposes the object through a REST
> interface. Is there any plan to add block storage support like Ceph so
> VMs can use the objects directly?

There isn't currently any plans for this.  At one time we considered
it, but decided that it would not be a good idea to build block
storage on top of Swift.

> We would love to have the same users and permissions in both
> OpenNebula and Swift so the management is only done in one place. It
> seems that the "TempAuth" system is the way to go to perform this
> authentication. Is it going to be supported in the future or is it
> going to be dumped in favor of just Keystone?

You should be able to write your own auth middleware that integrates
swift into the OpenNebula auth system.  Docs are here:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/development_auth.html

You can also use TempAuth as an example to work from.

> Are the object ACLs stored within Swift? Can I provide the object ACLs
> from the Auth subsystem (OpenNebula in this case)? I plan to map Swift
> objects to OpenNebula Images and they already have ACLs in place.

Currently ACLs are at the container level in swift and not at the
object level.  That said, for your specific use case, I think you
could implement the image ACLs in your auth middleware, but it has
been a while since I have looked at that code.

--
Chuck