[Openstack] VM connectivity

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Mon Nov 5 13:54:13 UTC 2012

Johanna, Veera, and Gary

The hybrid VIF driver is necessary for security groups to work (I think
this is why Gary is suggesting to use it).
This is likely to be the source of Johanna's problem of SSHing into VMs.

Just for the sake of pedantry, of which I am a die-hard aficionado, I'd
like to mention that in case you're running Quantum with namespaces, you
won't be able to SSH into them from the host machine unless you execute the
SSH command in the VM's namespace (same applies to ping or any other
operation involving the VM's IP address). For each quantum network, you'll
find a namespace called qdhcp-<net_id>. Hence you can SSH by doing sudo ip
netns exec qdhcp-<net_id> ssh <user>@<vm_ip>.

I do apologise If I'm stating the obvious.
Regards,
Salvatore