[Openstack] [ceilometer] Monitoring physical devices

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Mon Nov 5 12:10:53 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Patrick Petit <
patrick.michel.petit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
> I'd like to add to this that physical server metering shouldn't be treated
> differently in Ceilometer now that bare metal provisioning framework enters
> into Grizzly. Physical servers will just become billable resources much
> like VMs. I am not speaking of physical server monitoring here. Just
> extending Ceilometer agent to also report usage data out of the physical
> box.

Thanks for posting this, Patrick. I understood "physical devices" as "host
server" not as "bare-metal server".

I suspect we could use the same agent framework, but almost all of the
pollsters would need to be different because they would be running inside
the guest OS rather than on a host VM, so the APIs they will use to collect
the same data will be different.

Doug