[Openstack] Is there any method to Activate Windows during Launch a new Instance?

Luis Fernandez Alvarez luis.fernandez.alvarez at cern.ch
Mon Nov 5 09:50:56 UTC 2012

Hi Ray,

Have you try to upload a generalized image with sysprep to glance? If you put the Product Key in an unattend file, when the generalized image is deployed in the concrete virtual machine the activation process will be done during setup. The main drawback is that a generalized image takes longer to be deployed, as it's thought for heterogeneous environments... Well... this is just another option...

If you don't have a corporate license, and each user has to enter the key, then... metadata service looks the best way to do it, mixed with... setupcomplete.cmd, firstlogon commands or other cloud-init like tools.

Luis.