[Openstack] [quantum] Relationship between br-int and physical bridge mapping in OVS plugin

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Mon Nov 5 06:44:22 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Vinay Bannai <vbannai at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a multi node setup. The CC controller doubles up as the quantum
> server and also has the l3 agent and DHCP. I have configured OVS as my
> L2 plugin with vlan tunneling. On the compute nodes, I see that in
> addition to having the integration bridge (br-int) you will also need
> the ovs physical bridge (br-th1) with the physical ether port eth1 as
> a member. I am wondering about the relationship between br-int and
> br-eth1 bridges. Wouldn't it make sense to add eth1 port to the
> integration mode.

you might have quantum networks that use vlans on different on different
physical NICs (e.g., eth0 and eth1), so adding each NIC directly to br-int
wouldn't make sense.  Similarly, you might have some quantum networks that
also use tunneling.  Hence, all vNICs are just plugged into br-int, and the
plugin is responsible for doing the right thing with the traffic.

Dan

> Why have two bridges on the compute node for VMs to
> talk to other VMs in the same tenancy over the physical network?
> I am sure I am missing something in my understanding so would
> appreciate any comments or explanations.
>
> Thanks
> Vinay

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com