[Openstack] [ceilometer] Monitoring physical devices

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Thu Nov 1 17:30:42 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Zehnder Toni (zehndton) <
zehndton at students.zhaw.ch> wrote:

> > On Thu, Nov 01 2012, Zehnder Toni (zehndton) wrote:
>
> >> On Thu, Nov 01 2012, Julien Danjou wrote:
>
> >> On every physical compute node is the Ceilometer compute agent
> >> installed, right?!
>
> > Yes.
>
> >> 1) Does the compute agent collect data of the physical machine as well
> >> or is it just collecting data of the virtual machines?
>
> > Only virtual machines.
>
> >> 2) Could it be useful to enhance the Ceilometer agent to collect data
> from the physical servers?
>
> > Why not. What do you have in mind exactly?
>
> My goal is to offer monitored data to the admin and customers. The admin
> is interested in the utilization of the physical components and the virtual
> machines and the customer is interested to know what his VMs do or can do.
> It would be nice to get the data from a single point. I thought I can
> enhance the Ceilometer compute agent to get this data out. Does this make
> sense or is it better to use another monitoring tool for the physical
> components?

We are looking into adding monitoring features to ceilometer, but it is
likely that your admin will want fresher (and different) data than we are
collecting right now (the agent only polls every 10 minutes at this point).

If you have a strong need for this, it would be great if you could work
with us to help get it implemented more quickly.

Doug