[Openstack] Handling of adminPass is arguably broken (essex)

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 1 17:14:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 09:09:14PM -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> TL;DR: The way OpenStack handles the adminPass attribute during
> metadata injection is not useful on operating systems without an
> /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.  I would like to make the adminPass value
> available on a Windows instance, and this is my proposal for how to do
> it.

Oh geez, it gets worse.  The configuration disk created by OpenStack
is a whole-disk filesystem (no partition map), so Windows thinks it's
all unallocated space...so even with my patches in place I still can't
get at the data.

I can see I'm traveling through largely unexplored territory here.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>  |
Senior Technologist                           | http://ac.seas.harvard.edu/