[Openstack] [SWIFT] Rack-awareness

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Thu Nov 1 15:55:23 UTC 2012

This is already supported in Swift with the concept of availability zones. Swift will place each replica in different availability zones, if possible. If you only have one zone, Swift will place the replicas on different machines. If you only have one machine, Swift will place the replicas on different drives.

There are active discussions right now about how Swift can support a tier above these availability zones: "regions". A region would be defined by a hogher latency link and can provide additional data durability, and, depending on your deployment details, better availability. http://swiftstack.com/blog/2012/09/16/globally-distributed-openstack-swift-cluster/ has more info on the ideas we're talking about.

--John