[Openstack] nova-volumes doesn't exist

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 13:20:12 UTC 2012

On 11/01/2012 09:07 AM, Daniel Oliveira wrote:
> Well, the title pretty much says it all. My nova-volume module doesn't
> start due to the absence of the nova-volumes volume group. So I've been
> searching for a way to solve that, and from what I've understood, the
> only way I'd be able to create the group is by creating another
> partition on my hard drive (sorry if I didn't get it right). I've also
> tried adding a "volume_group=my_volume_group_name" line to
> /etc/nova/nova.conf, to no avail. Can someone help me?
>
> Thanks in advance.

This is an LVM issue that isn't specific to OpenStack.  I would do some
reading on the topic to gain a better understanding of LVM...

If you're just doing basic testing, you can use this little hack:

$ sudo truncate --size 20G ~/nova-volumes
$ sudo losetup -fv ~/nova-volumes
$ sudo vgcreate nova-volumes /dev/loop0

--
Russell Bryant