[Openstack] Handling of adminPass is arguably broken (essex)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Nov 1 03:39:36 UTC 2012

Ok, sorry for my lack of knowledge of windows + passwords.

Windows passwords are based on a hashed format correct (LM or NTLM?).
Would it be possible to send this as user-data over the metadata service
(either via the webservice or the cfg-drive), then provide a way to get
that hash into the windows security service (not sure what its called).
Even though this hash might be viewable a hash shouldn't be easily cracked
(assuming good password choosing here).

If that¹s not the case, I think others were proposing of methods to get
more 'data' on the config-drive, which it seems like yours is a case of
(although I'm not sure if the cfg-drive should be 'r/w', but this can just
be a option). Would u want to take that on with your proposal as well?

Something that removes the restrictions of 'inject_data_into_fs' and
instead could just be a set of simple modular classes that can be given a
instance + metadata for that instance and a mount location and can write
in whatever format they want. I could see there being a
'LegacyFilesystemInjector' that writes the current format to a filesystem,
a 'ConfigDriveInjector' and a subclass of the later to handle your case.
The injector to use could be another plugin (with the given 2 stated being
included by default in openstack).

Thoughts?