[Openstack] [OpenStack][Nova] deference between live-migration and migrate

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Thu May 31 18:10:10 UTC 2012

On May 25, 2012, at 2:36 AM, John Garbutt wrote:

> I have been meaning to draft a blueprint around this.
>
> What we have today:
> ·         Migrate: move a VM from one server to another, reboots across the move (I think) and destination is picked by scheduler
> ·         LiveMigration: move a VM form one server to another, VM doesn’t appear to reboot, need to specify the destination
>
> I propose we extent the Migrate API (thinking about nova CLI here really) to include:
> ·         Optional Flag to force non-live migration, default to live migration
> ·         Optional destination host, by default let the scheduler choose
> ·         Deprecate the existing live migration API and CLI calls
> What do people think?

+1

Keep in mind that we actually have three options:

live migration on shared storage
live migration without shared storage (block migration)
resize/migrate

Yun actually suggested that resize/migrate be simplified to do the following instead of scping the file over:

 * snapshot to glance
 * boot new image from snapshot

This would definitely simplify the code, unfortunately it could have billing/metering repercussions.

Vish