[Openstack] Greatest deployment?

Matt Joyce matt.joyce at cloudscaling.com
Wed May 30 19:54:35 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Soren Hansen <soren at linux2go.dk> wrote:

> 2012/5/30 Matt Joyce <matt.joyce at cloudscaling.com>:
> > Secondly, while LXC does provide a lot of native access, it still does
> > paging management internally just as kvm does.  So direct memory
> management
> > ( some HPC users like this ) becomes just as problematic as it is in kvm.
> > Lots of overhead.
>
> I'm not convinced this is accurate. Can you provide some kind of
> reference for this?

Okay so KVM uses a nastier abstraction layer in the form of shadow paging,
while LXC simply relies on cgroups for memory isolation.  Obviously two
very different beasts.  But there is the overhead of cgroup accounting and
resource management inside LXC.  It's not the same, and not nearly as much
overhead but it's still there.

pick your mirror:  /kernel/Documentation/cgroups/memory.txt

would be the best docs I know of.

-Matt