[Openstack] git-based jenkins jobs and pre-approval check jobs

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue May 29 15:53:32 UTC 2012

On 05/28/2012 04:32 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> On 12-05-25 03:58 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> Hey guys!
>>
>> We just finished rolling out the first in a sequence of upcoming changes
>> to gerrit and jenkins based on needs described at the design summit.
>>
>> We now have the basic jobs for all of the projects (except for horizon,
>> because it's slightly different and I want to spend a little more time
>> with it) applied to jenkins based on some scripts and some yaml files
>> that are in a git repo. This means that anybody could conceivably do
>> some hacking and submit a change to gerrit, instead of the current
>> status quo which is that you have to be a jenkins admin to touch
>> anything.
>>
>> If you want to look at it, it's all in this dir:
>>
>> https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ci-puppet/tree/master/modules/jenkins_jobs/files
>>

> What was the reason for moving these files directly into puppet and not
> in a separate git repo? I'm surprise they are not actually packaged to
> be honest.

WELL... a couple of things. First of all, this is stab one, and as we
add more openstack projects and jobs we keep finding more features, etc.
that we need. It seemed like just doing it directly in one place at the
start while we're rapidly iterating on it was less painful. However, as
it solidifies, I'm hoping we can have a thing that is the jenkins job
filler that can be installed, and then the _config_ of that that's
specific to a project is something that puppet can manage. So let's call
it coming-soon. :)

We're also still a little specifically openstack oriented at the moment
... but we do want to go back through and re-generalize some things as
we get a handle on where we need config bits and whatnot.

>> Additionally, it's grouped/templated, so we've actually got identical
>> jenkins jobs running for all of the projects... which means we can
>> hopefully stop running in to the whole "oops, I forgot to update the
>> glance jobs" situation.
>>
>> But wait, that's not all ...
>>
>> By popular demand, as part of rolling out those jobs, we have added
>> pre-approval check jobs. We are now running merge checks, pep8 checks
>> and unittest jobs on the patch-uploaded event and reporting the results
>> into the code review so that people can skip code reviewing patches that
>> don't work yet. We're also still running tests post-approval so that we
>> ensure the patch as it is to be merged is still good.
>>
>> We have several more great bits that will be rolling out in the next
>> week or two, in the attempt to streamline the set of things that need
>> review, and also speed up the testing of reviewed things.
>>
>> Happy hacking
>>
> Nice work! I always enjoy looking to your work and see what you guys are
> doing in the world of automation.

Thanks!