[Openstack] Why is an image required when booting from volume

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Sun May 27 18:51:04 UTC 2012

To the best of my understanding there are two parts to this, neither of which is fully where it ought to be:

1.       It shouldn't be a required parameter. If you give it a volume with everything it needs and not an image it should try to boot from that without throwing an exception. Horizon only enforces the requirement because Nova does.

2.       As an optional parameter, specifying an image should allow you to create the instance with that image loaded onto the volume, which is a very important part of the workflow for creating your own bootable volumes. This feature doesn't currently exist in Nova, however.

I also don't know offhand if there are blueprints or bug reports for either of those...

-          Gabriel