[Openstack] New layout of the OpenStack mailing lists

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri May 25 16:37:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Stefano Maffulli
<stefano at openstack.org> wrote:
> The rationale is that in 2012 we have better ways to send announcements
> out: blogs, RSS, twitter, G+, newsletters, etc. Besides, the list
> hasn't been used for months and nobody complained for the lack of
> content.

Just because it hasn't been used doesn't mean it shouldn't be
used...there have been a number of notices on the -dev list recently
that could/should have gone out on announcements (folsom-1
yesterday?).

> In any case, my  idea is to replace the list with a newsletter: people
> interested in receiving regular updates (like the weekly newsletter I
> send out) will subscribe there.

Part of the point of low-volume announce lists is that when something
_does_ show up from there you pay attention to it.  I don't think
parsing through a newsletter achieves the same result at all, neither
do blogs or twitter/FB/G+ unless those accounts are functional
equivalents to -announce, then its just a matter of remembering to go
check them.

dt

--

Dean Troyer