[Openstack] Fwd: Nodejs in horizon

John Postlethwait john.postlethwait at nebula.com
Fri May 25 16:22:31 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if I've missed anything below, this thread has become rather fragmented and messy (at least in my email clients) but I will try to address the main points I have seen so far:

  *   Just so that everyone is aware, the lessc parser that is bundled in Horizon, while executable, is NOT a binary. It is, in fact, just a 140 line JS file, you can see the code here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/7367/4/bin/less/lessc
  *   The reason I have bundled it within the Horizon code, as Gabriel mentioned, is to assuage any version mismatches or install issues with LESS itself that may arise from having yet another dependency on top of NodeJS that needs manual steps to install. Also, the LESS package that exists for Ubuntu is a year out of date, and other distributions do not even have packages for it. I would love if we could rely on the OS' packages to assuage this dependency, but we cannot, so this is the simplest and best-working solution I could think of. It will be no more difficult to maintain than jQuery, or Bootstrap, in the Horizon code-base...
  *   As for distribution support, Node can be installed on just about anything, see here: https://github.com/joyent/node/wiki/Installing-Node.js-via-package-manager
  *   As to the concerns about "it not being Python" or  "JavaScript has been abused." Well, all I can say to that is no, it is not Python, and yes, some developers write terrible and abusive code with JavaScript. I'm sure I could find horrid/abusive Python somewhere as well, but doing so would not preclude our reasons to use it in OpenStack. Misuse of a tool is not a reason to fear the tool itself, if that were so none of us would use any language, ever. Not to mention, we already use a ton of JS in Horizon... I'm not introducing JavaScript to Horizon for the first time or anything here.

I'm sure I've missed some good points, but this thread is a mess and is difficult to sort through... :P

-John Postlethwait