[Openstack] Nodejs in horizon

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri May 25 14:52:19 UTC 2012

Gabriel Hurley wrote:
> 1. I'll repeat my call for a list (somewhere) of who OpenStack's "downstream stakeholders" are. I'm in favor of our commitment of support and cooperation, but providing openness and insight into who we're offering it to would be awesome.

The trick is, you don't know who, in the community, is a stakeholder
affected by a particular decision you make. So it's hard to come up with
an "official list of people/projects we care about".

The solution is to communicate, on the mailing-list, about development
decisions you want to make and that are likely to affect other parties.
New dependencies have been identified multiple times in the past as an
area that could benefit from wider cooperation between affected parties,
hence the requirement that they are discussed before they are implemented.

That doesn't mean you have to tick every box on a static list of "people
we officially care about". It's just about discussing solutions based on
input from beyond the core developers group of a given project, and try
to come up with the best option. You may not please everyone, but at
least the final decision will be better understood and accepted.

The rest of your email provides very interesting insight on the
decision, and it may well convince everyone that this is the right thing
to do. Discussing it beforehand avoids harsh feelings and unnecessary
flames.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)