[Openstack] rabbit MQ and mirrored queues

Stephen Gran stephen.gran at guardian.co.uk
Fri May 25 13:18:03 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am investigating various high availability options for a pending
deploy of open stack.  One of the obvious services to make resilient is
the mq service.  We're going to be using rabbitmq, and we'll most likely
have N of them in a standard rabbit mq cluster behind a load balancer
configured as active/passive.  One of the obvious improvements on this
would be to use mirrored queues to protect against message loss as well
as service downtime.

Are there recommended ways of doing this?  I see that I can use durable
queues, which might work around the problems of openstack checking queue
parameters on reconnect, but it seems a shame there's not an obvious way
to do this out of the box.  Unless I'm missing something?

Cheers,
--
Stephen Gran
Senior Systems Integrator - guardian.co.uk

Visit guardian.co.uk - newspaper of the year

www.guardian.co.uk    www.observer.co.uk     www.guardiannews.com

On your mobile, visit m.guardian.co.uk or download the Guardian
iPhone app www.guardian.co.uk/iphone

To save up to 30% when you subscribe to the Guardian and the Observer
visit www.guardian.co.uk/subscriber
This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited

A member of Guardian Media Group plc
Registered Office
PO Box 68164