[Openstack] [XenAPI] Implementing text console (log)

John Garbutt John.Garbutt at citrix.com
Fri May 25 09:52:35 UTC 2012

Awesome, this has been on my team's TODO list for far too long.

Have you added back the xapi-serial-console blueprint anywhere?

> At the moment, I have a sort-of working concept of it that only runs under
> XS6 (the only one that offers VT100 terminals), however it has a fallback to
> returning nothing if it doesn't find one, however, there is an issue.
Yep, we got it added into XS6 especially for OpenStack, certainly missing in previous version.
Maybe the API should return some kind of "Not Supported" response?

> The way to get the console output is by getting the console URL and
> CONNECT-ing to it, an example of this in a curl is the following:
> curl -k -X CONNECT
> 'https://192.168.1.215/console?uuid=6e12b329-6d72-19a4-f8ea-
> 61dedcd049b9&session_id=OpaqueRef:d04043d3-4328-c1b6-1a2a-
> 4a3638419967'
> The curl process will appear to be hanging, but if you run any commands or
> type anything, you'll see it appear in the screen.
> Obviously, you need your own session_id and console UUID with type VT100.
Right, that seems odd.

I have added Wu who was working on this when he was at Citrix. He may have some ideas for you.

I can have a word with the XenServer developers about the best way do this, and take a look myself. Have you gone through how KVM/LibVirt code deals with this?

Cheers,
John