[Openstack] Nodejs in horizon

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri May 25 08:48:02 UTC 2012

Devin Carlen wrote:
> -1 to introducing formal processes around this.  This will happen from
> time to time.  Development may be briefly impacted on other platforms
> but hindering innovation and telling developers that they are
> responsible for package availability across every distro is not healthy.

The PPB actually already ruled that new dependencies *need* to be
discussed on the mailing-list prior to their introduction, if only so
that downstream stakeholders learn about it and can work to solve it.

Like others said, new dependencies impact our whole ecosystem and most
of the time a small amount of discussion can go a long way in choosing a
solution that is good for everyone, rather than firefighting after the fact.

You are not responsible for package availability across every distro,
but you're responsible for playing as nice with them as you can. That's
the "Facilitation of downstream distribution" obligation of core
projects[1], an obligation that the PPB can enforce.

[1] http://wiki.openstack.org/ProjectTypes

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)