[Openstack] [Netstack] About python versions that we are planning to support

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Thu May 24 22:08:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Chris Wright <chrisw at sous-sol.org> wrote:

> * Dan Wendlandt (dan at nicira.com) wrote:
> > I'm concerned about a need to support python 2.4 as well, especially if
> it
> > would have a ripple effect into openstack-common, which otherwise does
> not
> > have that requirement.
>
> I am too.  Is this still open, or did we reach some consensus?  The
> discussion on the list seems to have died out.

Hi Chris,

We actually talked about this at the quantum team meeting last week.

Current status seems to be:
- we're OK enforcing 2.4 coding standards for agent code in the quantum
repo, so long as it does not become onerous (currently this is mainly a
matter of simple things like not using "as" or "with")
- the bigger question is around code from other repos that may be pulled
in, particularly openstack-common.  Its unclear if those projects can be
kept 2.4 clean, this may well prove substantially more onerous than just
keeping quantum agent code clean (perhaps those requiring 2.4 can help with
that).
- another option is to avoid running the agents on dom0 all together and
instead use the "service-vm" that is already used in xenserver deployments
to run nova-compute.  There are a couple options here, including a
suggestion from rkukura to potentially utilize the rootwrap functionality
so that the "agent" could run in the service-vm, but dispatch calls to
dom0.

mnewby has been leading the effort to maintain XenServer support and he has
been out this week (and will be out next as well, I think), so I think
exploring those options may have to wait a week unless someone else wants
to drive.

Dan

--
Dan Wendlandt