[Openstack] Question about cloudfiles API

Shawn Heisey launchpad at elyograg.org
Thu May 24 20:03:43 UTC 2012

This question is probably more appropriate for the Swift mailing list,
but I could not figure out how to subscribe to that list, so it's going
here.  I'm OK with moving it there, if someone can tell me how to get
subscribed, or if I'm in completely the wrong place, let me know.

I am attempting to evaluate Swift for our environment.  I have set up a
Swift cluster using the ubuntu multi-server HOWTO and I can use the
commandline utilities to upload and download files.  Now I need to do a
test using the Java API.  I downloaded java-cloudfiles and I can't seem
to make it work.  It fails at the login() step.

             FilesClient client = new FilesClient(username, password,
authUrl, null, 10000);
             if (client.login())
             {

javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException: peer not authenticated
         at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSessionImpl.getPeerCertificates(SSLSessionImpl.java:352)
         at
org.apache.http.conn.ssl.AbstractVerifier.verify(AbstractVerifier.java:128)
         at
org.apache.http.conn.ssl.SSLSocketFactory.connectSocket(SSLSocketFactory.java:397)
         at
org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnectionOperator.openConnection(DefaultClientConnectionOperator.java:148)
         at
org.apache.http.impl.conn.AbstractPoolEntry.open(AbstractPoolEntry.java:150)
         at
org.apache.http.impl.conn.AbstractPooledConnAdapter.open(AbstractPooledConnAdapter.java:121)
         at
org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.tryConnect(DefaultRequestDirector.java:575)
         at
org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.execute(DefaultRequestDirector.java:425)
         at
org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:820)
         at
org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:754)
         at
org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:732)
         at
com.rackspacecloud.client.cloudfiles.FilesClient.login(FilesClient.java:278)
         at com.REDACTED.swiftest.Main.main(Main.java:50)

This all works with the curl command using the same auth URL.  I've got
the default user/password set up from the HOWTO.

Initially I suspected that the problem was due to the self-signed
certificate, but watching syslog on the primary proxy server, I don't
see any requests logged, but I do see a conversation happen on port 8080
with tcpdump.  How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Shawn