[Openstack] Swift performance for very small objects

andi abes andi.abes at gmail.com
Tue May 22 16:59:33 UTC 2012

Remember that when an object is written to swift, it's not written
just to the  object server, the container and account servers are
updated as well... the container for object listings (and timestmaps)
and the account for overall statistics. Also, the proxy ensures a
quorum for the newly written object - there will be 2/3 of the
replicas written before the request is ack'd to the client.
If you're trying to find ways to optimize swift for performance,
especially large clusters, I'd probably focus on performance
optimization of the account and container servers.
A few more thoughts:
 * swift is designed to scale out very well - both across machines and
across disks. You effectively defeat that scaling when you use
loopback devices - since your effectively force all the disk activity
onto the same physical disk.
 * you might want to ""prime"" your environment before your
performance tests. Things like ARP caches, and DNS name resolution.
Also, make sure to ""prime"" your accounts and containers, and not
have them be created as part of the test.
 * There are some caches in swift that run around 128K entries (in the
account / container servers). You might want to run larger tests, to
make sure you get those flashed once in a while.
 * once you have real disks, you might want to play around with disk
to zone ratios. Replicas are guaranteed to go to different zones....so
the number of disk-spindles in a zone will affect the overall
performance of your cluster.

It will be interesting to hear more about your results !

Oh... persistent connections. I believe the python httplib will
auto-negotiate persistent connections, so no app level code is
required (good thought though ;)