[Openstack] [metering] high-level design proposal

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue May 22 14:30:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:05 AM, Endre Karlson <endre.karlson at gmail.com>wrote:

> If I'm understanding this correctly, the Collector is kind of like a Agent
> in Qantum (It sits on a machine doing stuff and passing info upstream).
>
> If you look at the approach they have now in Quantum Agent it's writing
> directly to the DB. But looking at the next version they seem to be moving
> to having the Agent send data upstream to the Plugin in Quantum. Why not do
> something similar?
>
> I mean if you have a MQ cluster in a deployment I think it makes more
> sense to have 1 thing that handles the db stuff then having each Collector
> connect to the db..

That was the goal, but I may have swapped the terminology around. For
ceilometer, the "agent" runs on the compute node and writes only to the
message queue. The "collector" runs in a central location and writes to the
database. The number of collectors you need will depend on the number of
messages being generated, but the architecture supports running several in
parallel in a way that each instance does not need to be aware of the
others.

Doug