[Openstack] Middleware packaging (was: swift3 middleware split)

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 22 12:10:05 UTC 2012

Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>> I expect the packaging teams in each distro to consider which plugins
>> make the most sense and package them.
>
> +1, this is totally up to the distro to takes care of those things.
>
> Talking about packaging and middlewares, it would be nice if the
> packagers could do a split of the middlewares from a main project.
>
> For example in keystone the auth_token middleware is located in the
> python-keystone package for Ubuntu[1] it would be much nicer if this
> is splitted to its own package like python-keystone-auth-token and
> avoid end-user confusion like "why do I need to install the full
> keystone[2] to get Nova/Swift/Glance+KeystoneAuth working"
>
> I am not sure what's the process to get this forward, should I just
> report a bug against Fedora/Ubuntu package and attach a patch for the
> .spec, debian/control in there ?

Yes, that should definitely be installable without pulling the whole
thing. I would file a bug against the relevant packaging, for example
for Keystone in Ubuntu:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/keystone/+filebug

That said, in that particular case, we should probably first address the
wider question of where the keystone/swift middleware should actually
live. Looks like for the other projects this is shipped as part of the
core project code, and having some consistency there would probably be good.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack