[Openstack] [openstack][keystone] V3 API draft

Joseph Heck heckj at mac.com
Mon May 21 16:11:14 UTC 2012

Good morning,

I wanted to announce that we have the first strawman/draft of a V3 API for Keystone available for comment and feedback. This is an early draft, and I expect there to be more than one.

	https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s9C4EMxIZ55kZr62CKEC9ip7He_Q4_g1KRfSk9hY-Sg/edit

The general theme of this proposal is a broad CRUD based API supporting authentication and authorization needs in OpenStack. Back-end implementations of Keystone may not support all components of the API, hence an API return may be NotImplemented. This is to support Keystone as a programmatic facade to an deployment’s existing authentication and authorization system(s).
Themes for changes:

	• different style of pagination that I hope will be more effective for UI work
	• consolidate CRUD operations currently in contrib into CORE
	• adding a "url" resource attribute that's the fully qualified resource location for the keystone service
	• flatten the service catalog structure
	• added in a domains (collection of tenants)
	• restructure role API calls to be specific to user->tenant or user->domain
	• tokens are now very explicit to user+tenant combinations
	• new API mechanisms to get tenants associated with a user
	• generalized credentials associated with a user/tenant combo (ec2, pki, ssh keys, etc)
	• propose an extended policy-implementation-specific API

If you're interested, please review and provide feedback through the above Google Doc, or feel free to open broader discussion questions here on the list.

-joe