[Openstack] gw-* interface

Salman Malik salmanmk at live.com
Sat May 19 22:49:29 UTC 2012

Hi guys,
(Sorry for the previous post :S )

I had posted a question regarding bridges on OpenFlow list and got a terrific explanation from Reid, as shown below:

                  Hypervisor

             +--------------------------------------------------------+             |                                                         |

     +------ | -- iface <--------------------------------------+       |     |       |    eth0                                         |       |

     |       |                                                 |       | {network}   |                                                 |       |

     |       |                                                 v       |     |       |                                                         |

     +------ | -- iface <---+  X------------------------>  {IP stack}  |             |    eth1      |                                          |

             |              |                                  ^       |             |              |   bridge br1                     |       |

             |              |     +---+                        |       |             |              v     |   |  (internal)            |       |

             |             port --+   +-- port -- iface <------+       |             |             eth1   |   |   br1     br1                  |

             |                    |   +-- port -- iface -- |     |     |             |                    |   |   tap1    tap1     +-----+     |

Now I need to fit the gateway inteface (gw-*) into this picture, which is bound to dnsmasq and gives out IP addresses to the new instances. Can someone help me with it ?

Also I need to know why doesn't 'ifconfig' show neither br-int nor an IP address for tap interfaces of the instances (although I can sees instances have an associated IP using dashboard) ?

Thanks,
Salman