[Openstack] About openstack common client

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri May 18 14:09:15 UTC 2012

On 5/18/12 12:16 AM, Yong Sheng Gong wrote:

> Hi,
> I just want to ask about the relationship among openstackclient
> https://launchpad.net/python-openstackclientand other clients.
> Will openstackclient replace other clients ( such as quantum client,
> keystone client, nova client, xx) or just a supplement?
My understanding (and hope) is that ultimately there will be a
separation between shell interfaces and REST interfaces.
Openstackclient will implement the commandline, and the other clients
(python-novaclient, python-glanceclient, etc.) will provide python APIs
for REST clients, of which openstackclient is one.

> by now, the openstackclient is calling codes from other clients, so it
> seems it is just another client wrapper. In this case, we will have to
> implement two set of front codes to call specific client. One will be
> in openstackclient, and one will be in separate client itself.
I expect non-common shell clients to be deprecated and eventually ripped
out.  We're probably a bit too early in the game to explicitly
discourage development on those shell commands though.

-Andrew