[Openstack] [metering] resources metadata

Loic Dachary loic at enovance.com
Tue May 15 11:52:33 UTC 2012

On 05/15/2012 12:05 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:

> OTOH I find the metadata proposal in another table too much
> complicated. Why not storing what metadata in the meter.payload field
> in the same table (e.g. as a JSON string)?
I would be much simpler to store the metadata in the resource_id field which could be renamed into resource field.
Instead of resource_id=134123 we could have resource={ 'id': 134123, 'name': 'foobar', 'flavor': 'm1.small' etc.. }
There would be no need for versioning, format, separate table, etc. etc. The only convention would be that it's a hash with at least one field : the id of the resource. The rest is metadata.

It will use a lot of disk space with highly redundant information.

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary         Chief Research Officer
// eNovance labs   http://labs.enovance.com