[Openstack] i18n of log message

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Fri May 11 01:00:26 UTC 2012

A few key points:

1.       I would re-frame the options as “English Only”, “User-Facing Messages”, or “All Strings”. These three categories more accurately cover the purposes of translating different scopes in the application. The key difference being that web interfaces and API/CLI messages are both user-facing, and should be treated similarly.

2.       Horizon has already strongly committed to i18n for user-facing messages, and we’re keeping an eye on l10n (localization) as well in the future. Nova also has strong i18n support; as such I’d see “English Only” as a regression and a disservice to the community.

3.       With all due consideration of input from the community, this is ultimately going to have to be decided by the PPB since it needs to span all projects and since unanimous community consensus is unlikely.

I, personally, will continue to advocate for translation, internationalization and localization for all user-facing messages; and I’ll do what I can to keep supporting the community in its translation efforts. I’m happy to answer questions as well.

All the best,

-          Gabriel