[Openstack] Accessing VMs in Flat DHCP mode with multiple host

Michaël Van de Borne michael.vandeborne at cetic.be
Thu May 10 13:03:12 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm running into troubles accessing my instances.
I have 3 nodes:
1. proxmox that virtualizes in KVM my controller node
     1.1 the controller node (10.10.200.50) runs keystone, nova-api,
network, scheduler, vncproxy and volumes but NOT compute as it is
already a VM
2. glance in a physical node
3. compute in a physical node

my nova.conf network config is:
--dhcpbridge_flagfile=/etc/nova/nova.conf
--dhcpbridge=/usr/bin/nova-dhcpbridge
--routing_source_ip=10.10.200.50
--libvirt_use_virtio_for_bridges=true
--network_manager=nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager
--public_interface=eth0
--flat_interface=eth1
--flat_network_bridge=br100
--fixed_range=192.168.200.0/24
--floating_range=10.10.200.0/24
--network_size=256
--flat_network_dhcp_start=192.168.200.5
--flat_injected=False
--force_dhcp_release
--network_host=10.10.200.50

I even explicitly allows icmp and tcp port 22 traffic like this:

euca-authorize -P icmp -t -1:-1 default
euca-authorize -P tcp -p 22 default

before setting these rules, I was getting 'Operation not permitted' when
pinging the VM from the compute node. After setting these, I just get no
output at all (not even 'Destination Host Unreachable')

The network was created like this:
nova-manage network create private --fixed_range_v4=192.168.200.0/24
--bridge=br100 --bridge_interface=eth1 --num_networks=1 --network_size=256

However I cannot ping or ssh my instances once they're active. I have
already set up such an Essex environment but the controller node was
physical. Morevover, every examples in the doc presents a controller
node that runs nova-compute.

So I'm wondering if either:
- having the controller in a VM
- or not running compute on the controller
would prevent things to work properly.

What can I check? iptables? is dnsmasq unable to give the VM an address?

I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

michaël

--
Michaël Van de Borne