[Openstack] [QA] Aligning "smoke" / "acceptance" / "promotion" test efforts

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu May 10 00:48:57 UTC 2012

On 05/03/2012 10:54 PM, Maru Newby wrote:
> The rest api is the default interface, and the client tools target that
> interface. Since the clients are cli more than python api, they can be
> used by any language that can use a shell. What exactly does
> reimplementing the clients for the sake of testing accomplish? Double
> the maintenance effort for the same result, imho.

There is a very specific reason that the novaclient library wasn't used.
We needed a client that would enable us to throw invalid and random bad
input data at the APIs. novaclient is designed to eliminate the ability
to get an API call "wrong", since it successfully constructs the proper
HTTP API calls. We need a client that allows Tempest's negative tests to
throw bad stuff at the API and verify the server's robustness in
responding to that invalid data.

Best,
-jay