[Openstack] [Netstack] About python versions that we are planning to support

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Wed May 9 20:57:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 09, 2012, Robert Kukura <rkukura at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm very concerned about the potential of this XenServer/XCP requirement
> to interfere with making the various Quantum agents first-class
> OpenStack services by utilizing current and future openstack-common
> facilities for configuration, logging, DB, RPC, etc.. Are there any
> other possible ways forward here? How is the nova compute service
> currently handled for XenServer? Could a fully supported version of
> python be parallel-installed on dom0? Could the actual quantum agent run
> somewhere else and remotely execute commands on dom0? Or does the python
> 2.4 compatibility requirement need to be applied to openstack-common?

I'm confused what openstack-common has to do with the dom0 plugins?

I don't know what these Quantum agents do, but it sounds like they are
trying to do too much on the XS dom0. Why would you want to communicate
with the DB or RPC from dom0?

The nova plugins (which exist in plugins/xenserver/xenapi) are basically
the minimal amount of code that is necessary to run on dom0.

I'm not a fan of how XenServer userspace is lagging and is only Python
2.4, but Nova has been able to develop plugins with only a couple of
workarounds necessary.

I'm not sure I understand what Quantum is doing and why it appears to
want to do so much on dom0.

JE