[Openstack] [Netstack] About python versions that we are planning to support

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Wed May 9 19:05:04 UTC 2012

I'm concerned about a need to support python 2.4 as well, especially if it
would have a ripple effect into openstack-common, which otherwise does not
have that requirement.

With XenServer, nova-compute actually runs in a service VM (which is
running a modern version of python).  I believe Salvatore or others may
have done some work around forcing network traffic through this service VM
to allow iptables rules from nova-compute / nova-network to be enforced,
but I'm not familiar enough with that work to say for sure.  Can anyone
shed light on this?

Another option would be to just create a simple Quantum plugin specific to
XenServer that doesn't require an agent.  This plugin could use XAPI to
create networks, but as a result might only support a base feature set
(e.g., L2 connectivity using VLANs).

Dan

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com