[Openstack] [QA] Aligning "smoke" / "acceptance" / "promotion" test efforts

Tim Simpson tim.simpson at rackspace.com
Tue May 8 21:00:50 UTC 2012

Hi Daryl,

I understand what you're trying to accomplish by creating a new client for the tests, but I'm not sure why the interface has to be completely different from the official set of Python client bindings. If it used the same interface everyone in the community could then benefit from the extra features you're adding to the Tempest client by swapping it in should the need arise. It would also be easier for Tempest newbs to create and contribute new tests.

I understand that in some cases the current interface is too nice, but wouldn't the existing one work fine for the majority of the tests? If so, why not just write a few extra methods to send HTTP requests directly (or for these cases, use http directly)?

Additionally I've heard from some in Rackspace QA that the client allows them to see the HTTP codes which is more illustrative. I feel like this problem could be solved with helper methods this:

def assert_response(http_code, func, *args, **kwargs):
    try:
        func(*args, **kwargs)
        assert_equal(http_code, 200)
    except ClientException as ce:
        assert_equal(http_code, ce.code)

Then you'd write tests like this:

server = assert_response(200, servers.get, "some_id")

You could of course have additional methods if the success case indicated a different HTTP code. If more than one HTTP code could possibly lead to the same return value then maybe that indicates the official bindings should be changed. In this case it would be another win, as Tempest writers would be pushing to ensure the Python client interface was as useful as possible.

Tim