[Openstack] [nova] why does notification use a "topic" exchange instead of "fanout"?

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Tue May 8 20:19:04 UTC 2012

I'm working on some code to monitor notification messages coming from nova
by listening directly on the AMQP queue. Unfortunately, nova is using a
topic exchange so it seems I can't safely consume the messages or they
might not go to some other client that is expecting to see them (especially
some other part of nova that is expecting to receive the notification). It
seems like notifications should be available to more than one subscriber at
a time, but I thought I would ask for background before I started working
on a patch to change it.

Is there a particular reason a topic exchange was used for notifications?

Thanks,
Doug