[Openstack] [Nova] Removal of Deprecated Auth

Brian Waldon brian.waldon at rackspace.com
Mon May 7 22:09:53 UTC 2012

I wanted to send out a heads-up to let everyone know that I am now removing all the old auth code from Nova (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/remove-deprecated-auth). This will definitely be disruptive if you depend on this old code and haven't yet taken the steps towards using Keystone. If you aren't sure if you depend on it, the best way to tell is to look for the 'auth_strategy' flag - it will be set to 'deprecated'.

I did want to give a rough outline of how I'm planning to get all this done:

1) Remove AuthMiddleware. At this point, the API won't be able to use the deprecated auth strategy, but you can still use the nova-manage commands - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/7215/
2) Remove nova-manage commands. The data won't have been migrated out yet, but you won't have any interface to it through Nova. I'm waiting on an OK from Dan Prince here, as I don't want to break SmokeStack!
3) Remove DB junk. This includes any db api methods and the actual removal of the auth tables.

I'm probably missing some steps in there, but hey, it's a rough outline. Please reach out to me now if you have any issues with this!

Brian Waldon