[Openstack] Provisioning performance in Essex

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon May 7 12:51:16 UTC 2012

On 05/07/2012 02:48 AM, Salman A Baset wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I was looking into the provisioning process in OpenStack. If
> force_raw_images flag is set to False, the provisioning process looks like:
>
> (1) Copy the image
> (2) Create a copy of the copied image to an appropriate flavor name
> (3) Start the VM
>
> while if it is set to True, the provisioning process looks like:
>
> (1) Copy the image
> (2) Convert image to raw
> (3) Create a copy of the converted raw image to an appropriate flavor name
> (4) Start the VM
>
> For the former, copying the image to a flavor name is a redundant
> process. Can that be eliminated? Any thoughts?

You are referring to "pre-resizing" base images to a number of popular
flavors? I suppose that would be possible, yes. Mikal Still wrote the
libvirt image cache to cache resized base images for a configurable
amount of time. You can check out the code here that you might want to
hack on:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/virt/libvirt/imagecache.py

> Provisioning images from very large images (>20G) necessitate
> investigating all aspects of provisioning process. The reason one can
> have very large images is due to VM snapshotting or software bundling etc.

Or Windows. :)

Best,
-jay