[Openstack] [Metering] schema and counter definitions

Tomasz Paszkowski ss7pro at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:36:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'd like to share my thoughts on metering openstack resources usage.
Except those data available from SystemUsageData and those mentioned
in blueprints some of the cloud providers charge for I/O on disk
drives (to prevent users from dd if=/dev/zero nosense and to teach
them properly implementing cache strategies). Those data along with
network card usage can be gathered from libvirt using domblkstat and
domifstat. My idea is to gather data using agent (or modified
nova-compute)  and send them to messaging queue using following jsoned
data schema:

{'instance': 'instance-0000003b',
'host':'tytan-1','zone':'r4cz1','counters': {'interface': {'vnet0':
(80796L, 1212L, 0L, 0L, 53403L, 621L, 0L, 0L)}, 'disk': {'vda': (629L,
11699200L, 58L, 219136L, 0L)}}}

interface is a result of: interfaceStats(), disk is a result of: blockStats()

Those messages are consumed from queue and stored in mysql tables. I
assume that instance is a parent resource for each disk (ephemeral or
volume) and for each network interface.

So for message mentioned earlier we have three resources:

1) instances resource: instance-0000003b
2) child resource: vnet0 (network)
3) child resource: vda 'ephemeral

Mysql table for resources is like below:

CREATE TABLE resources (
    id BIGINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
    parent  BIGINT UNSIGNED,
    type VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
    value VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
    zone VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
    added TIMESTAMP,
) ENGINE=INNODB;

Counters are stored also in Mysql using following table:

CREATE TABLE counters (
    resource BIGINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
    type VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
    value BIGINT UNSIGNED,
    delta BIGINT UNISGNED,
    added TIMESTAMP NOT NULL,
    prev TIMESTAMP NOT NULL,
) ENGINE=INNODB;

Where prev is a reference to previous counter value. Process which is
reading data from queue is puting raw counter value into the table and
if possible (reference to previous entry present) evaluates delta
value.

By using this model of stroing usage counter's it very easy for
billing system to evaluate charges. We just run SUM(delta) on each
counter for given time range.

This model could be very easy adopted to other counters (IP Traffic
external/internal counters from iptables).

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Loic Dachary <loic at enovance.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To prepare for the next meeting ( thursday 3rd, may 2012 http://wiki.openstack.org/Meetings/MeteringAgenda ) I cleaned up and reorganized the Metering blueprint so that it ( hopefully ) incorporates all the information temporarily stored in the etherpad ( http://etherpad.openstack.org/EfficientMetering revision 67 in case it is vandalized ).
>
> We could start a discussion from the content of the following sections:
>
> http://wiki.openstack.org/EfficientMetering#Counters
> http://wiki.openstack.org/EfficientMetering#Storage
>
> and come up with a list of the counters that should exist by default and how they should be stored.
>
> This morning we had a discussion with Zhongyue Luo on irc.freenode.net#openstack-metering about how Dough could use the metering service. Since it already knows about instance creations, counter c1 that records how long a given instance was up is of no interest. However, other counters such as the external bandwidth used would be useful. I advocated that one of the advantages for Dough to rely on metering to collect counters is that it does not need to know about each OpenStack component and can rely on metering to figure out how to extract such counters from nova-compute, nova-network soon to be quantum, nova-volume soon to be cinder, swift, glance and free it from the burden of tracking structural changes.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Loïc Dachary         Chief Research Officer
> // eNovance labs   http://labs.enovance.com
> // ✉ loic at enovance.com  ☎ +33 1 49 70 99 82

Tomasz Paszkowski
SS7, Asterisk, SAN, Datacenter, Cloud Computing
+48500166299