[Openstack] [Nova] EC2 api testing

Martin Packman martin.packman at canonical.com
Fri May 4 17:09:28 UTC 2012

At the Folsom Design Summit we discussed[1] trying to collaborate on a
test suite for EC2 api support. Currently nova supports the common
stuff pretty well has differing behaviour in a lot of edge cases.
Having a separate suite, along the lines of tempest, that could be run
against other existing clouds as well as OpenStack would let us test
the tests as well, and would be useful for other projects.

Various parties have done work in this direction in the past, the
trick is going to be combining it into something we can all use. The
existing code I know about includes aws-compat[2], Openstack-EC2[3],
the tests in nova itself, some experimental code in awsome, and an
Enstratus test suite. I'm hoping to find out more about the Enstratus
code, James Urquhart suggested opening the remaining parts would be a
reasonable step. Is there anything else out there we should look at as
well?

Are there any strong opinions over the right way of getting started on this?

Martin

[1] Nova EC2 compatibility sesson etherpad
<http://etherpad.openstack.org/FolsomEC2Compatibility>
[2] <https://github.com/cloudscaling/aws-compat>
[3] <https://github.com/yahoo/Openstack-EC2>