[Openstack] [Swift][Keystone] Swift Quotas

Everett Toews everett.toews at cybera.ca
Thu May 3 22:58:34 UTC 2012

Since storing the quota data in Keystone is a prereq for do the quotas in
Swift, I'm starting there. After digging through the Keystone code a bit
I've identified at least one issue with storing the quota data per tenant
for the SQL backend.

In the metadata table both tenant_id and user_id are primary keys. So the
question is, *within the current design* how do you store some piece of
metadata per tenant only?

Storing the same quota data per user for a tenant doesn't work because of
the many-to-many relationship between users and tenants.

Another option is to use a static user_id for rows where you want to store
metadata per tenant.
e.g. user_id='per_tenant_metadata',
tenant_id='55b6d515e00e48c38e2c92d27dc5c03e', data='{"quota": ...}' (I'll
figure out what the JSON looks like later)

If you retrieved the quotas via SQL it would look something like,
select data from metadata where user_id='per_tenant_metadata' and
tenant_id='55b6d515e00e48c38e2c92d27dc5c03e';

This works but doesn't feel like the cleanest solution. Any thoughts on
this approach?

Of course, stepping outside the current design would yield more options but
I wanted to look for a solution within the current design first.

Everett