[Openstack] Instance IP assignment problem

Emilien Macchi emilien.openstack at gmail.com
Thu May 3 21:36:36 UTC 2012

With Quantum !

openstack at lists.launchpad.net
> Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 17:02:23 +0200
>
> Hi Salman,
>
> Le jeudi 03 mai 2012 à 09:47 -0500, Salman Malik a écrit :
>
> Hi Emilien,
>
> In your configuration you have the following flags:
>
> --flat_network_bridge=br100
>
> I'm going to try to change it in both servers.
>
> --floating_range=10.68.5.0/24
>
> That's actually my "public" pool, sot it's not my fixed pool (privates
IPs).

> After my tests, I will let you know of course.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Regards
>

> Can you please tell me why you need br100 when you are using br-int with
OVS ? Secondly, you seem to use floating_range flag as the second flag. I
assume that it is the pool of addresses that your instances will get IP
from, right? It may be worthwhile to modify it to fixed_range because Bilal
suggested here that this config worked for him.

> Let us know.
>
> Thanks,
> Salman
>

> ________________________________
> Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 08:29:42 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Openstack] Instance IP assignment problem
> From: soheil at cs.toronto.edu
> To: emilien.openstack at gmail.com
> CC: ahaldin at griddynamics.com; openstack at lists.launchpad.net;
salmanmk at live.com

> Oops accidently hit send on my phone.
>

> I had a similar problem before. My problem was that the nic driver on the
compute instance (your Essex 2) was dropping vlan tags, and then,
openvswitch wasn't delivering packets. You can check it using tcpdump -e
-vvv.

> BTW, if you are using virtualbox to run openstack, make sure you are not
using vbox intel drivers. Use pcnet fast instead.

> OVS splinter may also be useful.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Cheers
>
> Soheil
>
> On Thursday, May 3, 2012, Soheil Hassas Yeganeh wrote:
>
> I had a similar problem before. My problem was that the nic driver on the
compute instance (your Essex 2) was dropping vlan tags, and then,
openvswitch wasn

> can you find dhcp requests by using tcpdump for example ?
>
> sorry for "off-topic" but there may be many reasons of such issue with
dhcp. last one for me was old dhcp client(Ubuntu) and udp checksum error. I
have essex on centos and was trying ubuntu vm.