[Openstack] Nova subsystem branches and feature branches

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu May 3 15:50:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 16:46 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 14:24 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > > And how about feature branches?
> > >
> > >   - Feature branches are relatively short-lived (i.e. weeks or months
> > >     rather than years) branches for a specific feature. They are a
> > >     mechanism for developers to work on a patch series in the open until
> > >     the feature is complete enough to be merged into a subsystem branch
> > >     or master.
> > >
> > >     (I'm not sure gerrit is right for this. Why not just do it in
> > >     folk's github forks? I think all people are looking for is for
> > >     people to be more aware of feature branches. How about if you put
> > >     details of your feature branch in the blueprint for the feature?)
> > >
> > >     (If not using gerrit, can developers configure Jenkins to CI their
> > >     branch? Or is Smokestack the right tool?)
> >
> > I think preserving the ability to run your branch through integration
> > testing is a necessary prerequisite of the new model.
>
> Yes, it's only really needed at the point where the feature branch is
> merged into the subsystem tree. The developer should be able to break
> stuff on their WIP feature branch if they wish, since they'll be expect
> to rebase/fix before proposing it to be merged into the subsystem tree.
>
> So Jenkins/Smokestack would be nice tools to provide to folks working on
> feature branches, but they don't need to be gating.

Put another way - the gating tests should be run on every single commit
that is ultimately merged into master.

However, this should not mean that we apply gating to every commit on
feature branches, since feature branches are allowed to rebase until
they are merged into a subsystem tree or directly into master.

Cheers,
Mark.