[Openstack] [Glance] Replication implementations

Michael Still michael.still at canonical.com
Thu May 3 03:24:27 UTC 2012

Hi.

I'd be interested in hearing from people who have implemented some form
of replication with glance. I'm especially interested in how you went
about it. I attended the session at the dev summit, but that was forward
looking, and I am pretty sure that there wasn't any mention of current
implementations.

I'll get the ball rolling -- I have just implemented API level
replication for glance for an internal project. It uses the glance API
to replicate images from a master glance to slave glances. Its not very
smart at the moment, it just copies everything.

Current warts:
 - no support for metadata update
 - no support for filtering of what is replicated
 - maintaining amazon ec2 ids across regions requires twiddling the nova
database where this mapping is stored

Advantages of this approach:
 - API level replication means that I can run different versions of
glance at each end of the replication relationship
 - it really wasn't that hard to do

Would other people be interested in getting this code into glance,
probably as a stand alone command line tool? Or has someone done
something much better that I should be using instead?

Cheers,
Mikal