[Openstack] Metering question??

Luis Gervaso luis at woorea.es
Thu May 3 01:01:49 UTC 2012

Agree with your comments,

1. Metering tasks for me are mainly 2:

a) Collect relevant data
b) Correlate events (that's which "end event" corresponds with which "event
start") this is very important,
since only openstack knows how to correlate, but the billing system

2. Mediation process should exist, one per billing system (a.k.a driver,
openstack-specific-billing-system-plugin)

Map previously correlated data to a pricing model

3. Billing system tasks (obviously outscope openstack, it's does know
nothing about cloud)

Regards

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Doug Hellmann
<doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>wrote:

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com>wrote:
>
>>  Hi all,
>>
>> I was just looking over the efficient metering stuff yesterday.
>>
>> Just a couple of questions, that might be dups (sorry if they are).
>>
>> I am noticing that there seems to be a mix of billing specifics there and
>> metering specifics there.
>>
>> If say metering can just provide as much raw data as possible then is
>> that not sufficient? Shouldn’t that be the limit of openstack’s job?
>>

> I believe the rest of the group is reaching that conclusion, too. There
> was some discussion of that in the recent "schema and counter definitions"
> thread.
>

>> Then there can be sets of business units or other people that figure out
>> how to carve up that raw data into billing equivalents. This is especially
>> since every business will have there own idears around billing. In certain
>> situations, I can even think where one would want to use hadoop to
>> calculate some advanced model of all that raw-data and use that for
>> billing, but the key part that keeps on coming up in my brain is just get
>> as much raw data as possible.
>>
>> Thoughts??
>>
>> -Josh

Luis Alberto Gervaso Martin