[Openstack] Metering question??

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Wed May 2 18:31:40 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I was just looking over the efficient metering stuff yesterday.

Just a couple of questions, that might be dups (sorry if they are).

I am noticing that there seems to be a mix of billing specifics there and metering specifics there.

If say metering can just provide as much raw data as possible then is that not sufficient? Shouldn't that be the limit of openstack's job?

Then there can be sets of business units or other people that figure out how to carve up that raw data into billing equivalents. This is especially since every business will have there own idears around billing. In certain situations, I can even think where one would want to use hadoop to calculate some advanced model of all that raw-data and use that for billing, but the key part that keeps on coming up in my brain is just get as much raw data as possible.

Thoughts??

-Josh