[Openstack] i18n of log message

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed May 2 11:59:11 UTC 2012

Andrew Hutchings wrote:
> This was all actually covered in the i18n talk at the developer's summit:
>
> http://etherpad.openstack.org/FolsomI18N
>
> The information in there says "mailing list says no, feedback from
> session says yes (especially requested by operators in china) - need a
> vote? compare to apache projects..."

Right.... It was suggested that we do English-only rather than doing a
bad job at supporting full I18N. People present in the session raised
the specific issue of Chinese operators not being fluent in English, and
Vincent (CC-ed) presented a strong case on the mailing-list in a recent
thread.

The four options were:

0. Only English
1. Horizon being I18N as the user-friendly web interface to OpenStack
2. All API-user-facing messages should be fully I18N
3. Everything (including log messages) should be I18N, introduce error
codes to enable cross-language searching

The result of the discussion was that the most likely options were (1)
and (3) (option 3 being not significantly more work than option 2). An
I18N advocacy group would be formed to encourage and push option (3)
towards completion.

That said, the attendance at that Design Summit session clearly does not
represent our whole international user community, so I'm happy to extend
the discussion on the ML again. In particular I'm not convinced that
OpenStack needs to do a significantly better job at I18N than other
significant infrastructure open source software, most of which would
limit themselves to option (1) above.

彭勇 wrote:

> we are guys in China. we have a openstack group more than 500 members.
> we can promote a vote for this

Some indication on how actually necessary this is for Chinese operators
would definitely help in motivating the extra work needed on this :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack