[Openstack] Flagfiles vs. .ini files

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Wed May 2 08:43:31 UTC 2012

On 05/02/2012 08:32 AM, Ghe Rivero wrote:
> Essex was released with support for both types of configuration files, flagfiles (using the --) and the .ini file style, being the "nova.conf.sample" file included in nova upstream code using the .ini format.
>
> From a deployer point of view, this can be really confusing since official docs, use the .ini format, but Ubuntu 12.04 and docs based on ubuntu, use the old deprecated flagfile format.
>
> I think that we should start using only .ini files and stop supporting the old flagfile behavior. The sooner we remove from the development cycle, the more time the documenters and distributions have to catch up with the "new" format. Anyway, nova-manage can still be used to convert from flagfiles to .ini files: (I wouldn't remove this in folsom cycle)

I agree, having multiple ways to do stuff is problematic.
Is it too late to change the ubuntu configs/docs now?
We should at least output warnings about the old format.

Standardising on the new ini style format make sense,
and that's what has been done in the Essex releases in Fedora and EPEL.
Note to simplify the docs and allow users to cut and paste instructions,
we also include a utility to edit these config files:

https://github.com/fedora-openstack/openstack-utils/blob/master/utils/openstack-config

cheers,
Pádraig.